Client Assistance Program

What is the Client Assistance Program? The Client Assistance Program (CAP) helps individuals who experience problems when applying for or receiving rehabilitation or independent living services. The CAP can help if you have questions about or programs with the counselors and/or staff at: 

  • Florida Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
    ● A Center for Independent Living
    ● Florida Division of Blind Services 

Are you eligible for CAP services? The CAP may be able to help if you are a person with a disability who lives in Florida, and you: 

  • Need or are receiving vocational rehabilitation (VR) or independent living (IL) services;
    ● Have been denied VR or IL services, or have been denied an application to these programs;
    ● Disagree with your VR or IL counselor’s/coordinator’s decision about the services(s) you receive or need;
    ● Have had your VR or IL case closed and you are unhappy with the outcome. 

If eligible, what can CAP do for you?
● Give information about VR and IL services;
● Inform you about your rights and responsibilities as an applicant or client of these programs;
● Explain your employment rights under Title 1 of the Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act;
● Show you how to advocate to protect and assert your rights;
● Advise VR and IL agencies about programs with the “system”;
● Arrange for Legal Services when necessary to represent you in a formal appeal before any VR or IL agency;
● Advocate for appropriate planning for students moving from school to work. 

Do you have to pay for CAP services? No, CAP services are provided at no cost to you. 

Disability Rights Florida
2473 Care Drive, Suite 200
Tallahassee, Florida 32308
Toll Free: 800-342-0823 TDD: 800-346-4127 Fax: 850-488-8640

What are your RIGHTS when seeking services?
●  Apply or reapply for services;
● Receive an eligibility determination within 60 days;
● Be treated with courtesy and respect;
● Provide meaningful input into your rehabilitation and/or IL program;
● Request and receive a written explanation if you have asked for services and have been denied;
● Have the decision explained to you;
● Appeal any decision about ineligibility or denial of rehabilitation and/or IL services;
● Ask the CAP for help. 

What are your RESPONSIBILITIES when seeking services?
● Notify your counselor/coordinator if you cannot keep an appointment;
● Give your counselor/coordinator accurate information about your situation;
● Inform your counselor/coordinator if your situation changes;
● Do what you say you will do;
● Tell your counselor/coordinator when you do not understand something.


Sign up for CIL News to get important disability information and events.

CIL Logo White